Thursday, October 29, 2009

Todd Wright

I arrived home from LA yesterday to the news that our dear friend, Todd Wright had died in his sleep early hours Wednesday morning.

Life isn't always what we expect but we did expect Todd to be around a lot longer. He had valiantly fought his HIV infection, faced it head on and had gone through so much. We still don't know exactly what happened but he was diagnosed with KS earlier this year .... we don't know.

Coy called and told Stuart Wednesday morning just after I left the valley... no words can express the emotions ... we are all affected and devistated. I called Coy last night and had a brief conversation .. I mean, what can you say when you've lost your mate.

We met Todd at the Bullet Bar in North Hollywood in 1998 and saw him signing to some of the deaf group who meet there ... tall, handsome and all teeth! He was my inspiration to learn signing. He called us his 'two dads he never had'. Don't quite know what he meant by that. We called him sonny, Toddles or Toddy but usually Todd. Here was a generous and kind hearted soul who saw good in everone. I never heard him say a bad word ... no wait, I did but I reserve the right to keep that for my book.

He let me stay at his apartment in Northridge/Reseda for almost a year after we moved from the valley. My own room and bathroom without asking for anything in return. Todd and Coy stayed here with us in Palm Springs during the summer and we went to dinner together at Boscoso. Here was someone, beer in one hand, toke in another ...

We miss you already.

No comments: